With the free TiVo app, you're able to stream live and recorded shows from your TiVo DVR directly to your Android device. The app also lets you use your tablet or smartphone as your TiVo remote control—find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more. Just download the TiVo app and you're ready to get started.
Before you can use the TiVo app, you'll need to do the following:
- Make sure your Android device is running version 4.1 or later.
- Download the latest TiVo app from Google Play. It's free!
- Make sure that you have a compatible TiVo DVR connected to your home network.
- If you want to stream or download shows to your Android device, make sure that you have a TiVo connected to your home network.
Note: To use the TiVo, you must have a TiVo DVR with at least four tuners that connects to your home network using either a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection. See Connect your TiVo box to your home network for more information on networking options.
- Make sure your Android tablet/phone has Wi-Fi turned on, and that it is connected to the same network as your TiVo DVR.
The first time you launch your TiVo app, you'll go through a one-time set-up process.It only takes a minute.
- Launch the TiVo app.
- Sign in with your tivo.com username and password.
- If prompted, select the primary TiVo DVR to use with the app. (You will only be prompted if you have more than one compatible TiVo DVR on your home network.)
- If you have a TiVo, and this is the first time you are setting up the app, streaming setup will begin. If you have just upgraded the app, start streaming setup by going to "Settngs" and choosing "Setup."
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up in-home and out-of-home streaming. See it
- In home streaming means that you can stream shows to your iPad/iPhone only when you are connected to your home network.
- Out-of-home streaming means that you can stream shows to your iPad/iPhone even when you are away from your home network.
You're a few taps away from watching live TV or recorded shows wherever you are – even if you're away from home.
- To stream a recorded show to your Android device:
- Tap "My Shows" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "My Shows" (on a phone) This will show a list of all recorded shows available to stream. See it
- Tap the title of show you want to watch to view information about it.
- Tap "Watch Now," then choose "Watch on Tablet/Phone." See it
- To stream live TV to your Android device:
- Tap "Guide" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Guide" (on a phone). Scroll the guide columns up or down to view more listings. (You can also use the numbers on the side of the screen to skip quickly to a range of channels.)
- Choose a show that is currently airing, and tap the title to select it.
- Tap "Watch Now," and then choose "Watch on Tablet/Phone." Your TiVo DVR will start recording the show and it will begin streaming to your mobile device immediately. See it
The Info screen is the first screen you'll see when you enter the app. This screen displays information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo DVR. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching. See it
You can do lots of things from this screen, including:
- Tap "Watch Now" to watch the show. If you have a TiVo, you'll have the option to watch the show on your phone/tablet. The show will begin recording on your DVR and then begin streaming to your phone/tablet.
- Tap "WishList" to create a WishList search for the show.
- Tap "Explore" the show to learn more about its cast and crew, or to see a list of shows you might also like.
- Tap "Record" to set up a single recording or a Season Pass recording. Or, if you already have a Season Pass for a show, tap “Season Pass” to change recording options.
- Tap "Upcoming" to view a list of upcoming episodes.
- Tap "Get From" to watch the show instantly on your TV if it's available from other sources (like Netflix or Amazon)
- Tap "More" to share your comments about on Facebook or Twitter.
You can reach the Info screen at any time by tapping the Info button (on a tablet) or by tapping the TiVo button and then choosing "Info" (on a phone).
Note: The Info screen is not available if you are away from your home network.
Find, explore, and watch shows in just a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- To search for a particular show, tap the Search window (on a tablet) or the Search icon (on a phone) at the top of the screen. As you enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in, a list of matches will appear beneath the search window. Tap the best match to see options. Depending on the show, you can watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record a single episode or create a Season Pass recording, modify an existing Season Pass, view upcoming episodes, find other video providers for the show (like Netflix), or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter. See it
- To browse the program guide, tap "Guide" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Guide" (on a phone). Scroll the guide up or down to view more listings. (You can also search for particular channels by tappingat the top of the Channel column.)See it
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it. From there, you can choose to watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record it (if it's airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter.
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date to bring up the date selector.
- Tapto find a particular channel (you can search by channel name or number).
- To browse collections of related content (like award winners), or to browse by category (like TV, movies, or sports), tap "Browse" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Browse" (on a phone).See it
To see your TiVo DVR's My Shows list on the TiVo app, just tap "My Shows" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "My Shows" (on a phone).See it
Tap a show's title to view information and options. You can watch the show on your TV by tapping "Watch now," explore the show, get or modify a Season Pass recording, view upcoming episodes, delete the show from the My Shows list, or share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter. See it
Note: The My Shows list is not available if you are away from your home network.
You can use the TiVo app's remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, or to navigate around your TiVo DVR's menus. Here's how:
- Tap the remote control icon (on a tablet) or the Pause icon at the top right of the screen (on a phone). See it
- Use the remote control buttons to navigate the TiVo menus and control playback.See it
- Tap "Gestures" (on a tablet) or the Gestures icon (on a phone) to show the gesture pad areas. See it
- Use touch-screen gestures to control your video. See it
- To return to the remote control button view, tap "Buttons" (on a tablet) or the remote control icon (on a phone).
Note: The remote control is not available if you are away from your home network.
The TiVo app lets you manage your TiVo DVR's To Do List and Season Pass requests.
- Tap "Manage" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "To Do List." (on a phone). Tap a show title to get information about it. From there, you can cancel the recording, get or modify a Season Pass request, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, and more. See it
- Tap "Season Passes" (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose Season Pass Manager" (on a phone). See it
- To change the priority of Season Pass requests, press the menu button on your tablet/phone, tap "Reorder." Then, drag and drop your shows into the order you'd like. To get more information about a show, tap its title.
Note: You can not manage your shows if you are away from your home network.
As you explore shows in the TiVo App, you can easily publish your comments about them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Choose a show from your My Shows list, the guide, or any browsing screen.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap "More," then tap either "Share on Facebook" or "Share on Twitter." See it
- If prompted, sign in to your Facebook or Twitter account.
- Enter your post or tweet, and tap "Publish."
To connect to a different compatible TiVo DVR in your network, tap the DVR name at the top left of your screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Selected DVR." Then select another DVR. See it
To change settings or manage your Facebook or Twitter accounts, tap the gear icon (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Settings" (on a phone). You'll see the following options: See it
- TiVo account: Displays how you are signed in to the TiVo app. Tap "Sign Out" to sign out.
- Use Cellular Network: Choose whether to stream shows over the cellular network if Wi-Fi is not available.
- Setup: Set up streaming.
- System Information: Get information about devices on your network.
- Facebook/Twitter account: Tap "Login" to sign in.
- Sound effects: Turn TiVo app sound effects on or off.
- Guide Channels: Choose which channels to display.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to tivo.com's support site.
- Reset application: Reset the app to default settings.